Nurturing Ourselves Through Loving-Kindness Meditation

Loving-kindness, or metta, as it is called in the Pali language, is unconditional, inclusive love, a love with wisdom. It has no conditions; it does not depend on whether one “deserves” it or not; it is not restricted to friends and family; it extends out from personal categories to include all living beings. There are no expectations of anything in return. This is the ideal, pure love, which everyone has in potential. We begin with loving ourselves, for unless we have a measure of this unconditional love and acceptance for ourselves, it is difficult to extend it to others. Then we include others who are special to us, and, ultimately, all living things. Gradually, both the visualisation and the meditation phrases blend into the actual experience, the feeling of loving kindness.

As parents and caretakers – we sometimes forget about ourselves. We are so busy chasing, planning, and remembering, that we can sometimes miss the really important things in life.
There are moments in my days of being a mom of two little humans – that I forget to sit and eat, or sometimes even drink water. We fill our days with endless e-mails, text messages, and activities. Many of us even forget to keep breathing.
I thought now would be a good time to explain where metta (loving-kindness) comes into our practice.  Throughout the midst of the noise and chaos or pregnancy life or life with little ones, we believe that the loving-kindness practice can centre and calm you.

There was a long time ago where I wasn’t sure exactly what loving-kindness was. It wasn’t until I met Gary and Christina that these practices started to change my view of the world. I was once that mom running around like a lunatic, hurrying everyone along – hustling and bustling. I don’t feel so rushed anymore and neither do my children.
I have learned, that even though I am a parent, and responsible for other tiny little humans – I am also equally responsible for my own well-being. That means I get to still be nice and loving to myself, all the time, unconditionally.
Nest Ink is about the whole – each member of the family nurtured and strengthened. Remember yourself, too, and breathe.
Summary – In this article we take at some of the benefits of guided meditations for pregnancy and why one must practice it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment